FOBS - Friends of Barrow School
Who are FOBS? and ‘10 reasons why we need your help!’
As parents / carers you are AUTOMATICALLY a member of FOBS… your voice counts.
FOBS depends on a continual cycle of parent/carer involvement. As children reach their final year and leave, so do their parents/carers. School support us when possible, but without all your support, we have no FOBS – WE REALLY DO NEED YOUR SUPPORT.
FOBS is a mixture of parents/carers that work together for the benefit of Barrow School. Some are full-time parents/carers, some work part-time or work full-time. NONE of us are specialists in fundraising.
Taking an active role with FOBS will benefit your child’s learning experience. We’ve compiled a list of 10 reasons why helping FOBS will greatly improve your child’s experience of school.
1. You are vital to the success of the school
• Schools are becoming more and more dependent on their PTAs for funds.
2. It’s TOTALLY flexible!
• There are a variety of small ways you can help and be involved – from designing a poster, photocopying and distributing letters in the school, cleaning up after an event, helping out on a stall…so many ways.
• Giving up just 30 minutes of your time to help FOBS is invaluable. If everyone could spare 30 minutes a term to help, just think what we could achieve!
• You don’t have to attend FOBS meetings – you can use our contact details to send in ideas for discussion.
3. You’ll feel more connected
• There’s no better way to know what events are being planned, have your say or make new fundraising suggestions, than by offering your help and support.
• You’ll get to know teachers and support staff on a more familiar basis.
4. You’ll be part of a great network
• Every FOBS event is an opportunity to meet other parents/carers in the same situation as you.
• You will be part of a like-minded network of people who all share a common goal of improving the school for all our children.
5. Make a difference
• By volunteering to help FOBS, you’ll be able to use whatever skills you have for a noble cause.
• FOBS strive to establish a supportive and encouraging community for the entire school.
6. We’re not just for mums!
• It’s important to FOBS, our school and our pupils to have dads, grandparents and extended family represented on our committee and to help reach out to others.
• Are you someone with a skill that would come in useful?
7. Be a role model
• By getting involved with FOBS, you’ll show your children that not only are they important to you, but their education is as well.
• Your children will see you playing an active part in making their education more varied.
• Getting involved illustrates good teamwork and community spirit.
8. What FOBS does affects every parent/carer (and pupil)
• Your voice matters – FOBS is made up of people elected to represent you, so help us to do this effectively.
• Your ideas and involvement can help improve the quality of education for all the children at our school.
• See the smiles on their faces and know that you have played a part in making school a little more comfortable and fun!
9. It’s fun!
• Help plan fun events, socials and get-togethers
• Suggest NEW fun ways to raise funds
• Get your whole family involved!
Our children are only at school for a relatively short time. FOBS events such as Discos, Film Nights, Breakfast with Santa and Fairs will be remembered fondly by our children for a lifetime. The equipment and resources FOBS helps fund, make learning even more engaging. Help us continue to create lasting memories for our children.
Are you or do you know someone who is able to support us? Can you help with sponsorship or donate a raffle prize? Can you volunteer?